Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

Summary from Goodreads:

A powerful secret. A dangerous path.

Rigg is well trained at keeping secrets. Only his father knows the truth about Rigg's strange talent for seeing the paths of people's pasts. But when his father dies, Rigg is stunned to learn just how many secrets Father had kept from him--secrets about Rigg's own past, his identity, and his destiny. And when Rigg discovers that he has the power not only to see the past, but also to change it, his future suddenly becomes anything but certain.

Rigg’s birthright sets him on a path that leaves him caught between two factions, one that wants him crowned and one that wants him dead. He will be forced to question everything he thinks he knows, choose who to trust, and push the limits of his talent…or forfeit control of his destiny.

My thoughts: 

The idea of going into the past and seeing the paths of others instantly had me gravitating towards this book. First few chapters keep me interested. After a bit of reading I noticed how wordy the book was, especially on the explanation of time travel and pathfinding. A lot of the dialogue was unnecessary and distracted me from the book. The repetition of how time traveling worked was extremely annoying. I get it! Time travel is hard, but did I have to read about it over and over again.

One thing I did enjoy was the adventures Rigg and Umbo had. Throughout their journey they find themselves getting into trouble. Rigg outsmarts a banker by pretending to be rich and speaking eloquently. I liked this scene, but I found it hard to believe a 13 year old could deceive an adult. Rigg meets several people that help him in his journey. Loaf, Param, and Olivenko are a huge help when it came to escaping the opposition. Also they were loyal to Rigg when he wanted to leave the wallfold. The wallfold encloses the area they live in. If anyone attempts to leave they become mad and eventually die. His new friends were willing to sacrifice their lives to go across the wall with Rigg.

My favorite character in the book has to be Umbo. Growing up he was mistreated by his father. When his father found out Kyokay died (Umbo's brother), he kicked Umbo out of his home. It's hard to not feel sorry for him. Later on in the book, he becomes a bit more confident about himself and even finds a father figure with Loaf.

If the book had been less wordy and repetitive, it would have been the perfect read for me. I don't think I will be reading the sequel, especially if it follows this same pattern.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment