Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Summary from Goodreads:

The premiere American fantasy adventure gets the Merry Marvel treatment! Eisner Award-winning writer/artist Eric Shanower (Age of Bronze) teams up with fan-favorite artist Skottie Young (New X-Men) to bring L. Frank Baum's beloved classic to life! When Kansas farm girl Dorothy flies away to the magical Land of Oz, she fatally flattens a Wicked Witch, liberates a living Scarecrow and is hailed by the Munchkin people as a great sorceress... but all she really wants to know is: how does she get home? Collects The Wonderful Wizard of Oz #1-8.

My thoughts: 

A couple months ago I finished Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz. I had no clue that this was an ongoing series and I had read it out of order. Eager to catch up on the adventures I missed, I wanted to start from the very beginning.

The retelling of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz felt authentic to me. I remember reading the book as a child and even seeing the movie. Shanower and Young have done a fantastic job of staying true to the story. Young's details to expression are not to be missed. All the characters within the story were animated. Especially when Oz told Dorothy and friends about having to kill the witch, they were so downcast. The emotions were shown so clearly in the artwork.

The first couple issues dragged on. It wasn't until the fourth issue of the series that everything picked up pace. I didn't like the repetition that was constant throughout the story. Continuously reminding us of why Dorothy and her friends are off to see Oz.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a brilliant lighthearted read for all ages. At times the story can be predictable, but the colorful art makes it a delight to continue. I'm already craving more adventures of Dorothy and her friends. The journey continues with the Marvelous Land of Oz.





No comments:

Post a Comment