Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke


Summary from Goodreads:

You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard.

Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?

Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back.

Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.

Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch


My thoughts:

For awhile I have been trying to find that perfect horror read. When I first saw the cover and read the summary of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, I was instantly sold. I couldn't wait to be immersed in this gothic town where eerie things happen. Turns out it's your everyday teenage drama book with a miniscule amount of horror.

Not that this was a necessarily bad thing. I just wanted to experience the thrilling dread that was talked about in the summary of this book. Instead, the book has River who is constantly "grinning crookedly, or flashing a "wicked smile". This must be Edward Cullen's long lost brother! Seriously, you can't escape this. It's even in the summary from the book! I knew that should have been my first indicator to stay away from this. Another thing is River has to weird power called a "glow" His grandfather also has a power, his is a bit different and is called a "burn". The glow makes people see things, hallucinations of all sorts. River tends to use it for evil purposes. Such as making kids believe they just saw the devil or to have them commit suicide. Also the glow has a soothing effect on people, so you are able to have them do whatever you want. The only catch River has in using the glow is that he must have physical contact for it to work.

I don't know what to make of Vi. I liked how she wore her grandmother's clothes. Every time I pictured her I imagined her as a girl plucked out from a different era. She doesn't seem to do much with her life except read books and hang out with her friend Sunshine and brother. Things change when she meets River. Almost immediately Vi falls in love with him. (Of course she does! How could she not resist his "crooked smile".) Vi begins to unravel the mystery that is River. She realizes he has lied to her countless of times, and used his glow on her to seduce and almost rape her. WTF!!! Knowing all of this she STILL wants to be with him. Oh Vi you fail to realize you are being manipulated by him!

Characters I found likeable were Neely and Jack. Neely has no powers but he expresses his anger physically a lot. Compared to River he is practically a saint. I felt bad for the guy he constantly has to fix his brother's messes. The book was trying to set the stage for a future love triangle between Vi, River, and Neely. I wasn't seeing it though. Vi is too in wuv with River to barely even notice Neely half the time. Jack is one of the little kids River terrified with the vision of the devil. In my opinion his scenes in the book outshines Vi's. Would of rather had more scenes with Jack than River and Vi's romance ones.

Plot wise it wasn't all that bad except I didn't feel scared or the horror that was intended for this book. Only some 30 pages worth of some horror, but that was it. I kind of feel cheated in way because I wanted to read that something that scares you beyond belief. Too bad it wasn't this.

Rating: C


Book trailer for Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

1 comment:

  1. Oh God, the mention of a long-lost brother of Edward Cullen immediately sent me running back to any kind of cover I could get. (And I used to like Twilight/don't have a problem with the franchise.)

    The teaser trailer is pretty cool though, got to admit.

    ReplyDelete